Faculty of Arts - Department of Philosophy
Associate Professor Tim Dare
BA, LLB(Hons), M.Jur (Dist) (Auckland), PhD (Alberta)
Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Department: Department of Philosophy
Philosophy of law, applied and professional ethics.
- Professional and Applied Ethics
- Philosophy of Law
- Medical Ethics
A common theme in my work in ethics and applied ethics been has been a scepticism as to the satisfactoriness of virtues ethics accounts of obligation: that scepticism flows from the view I have defended on authority.
- Professional and Applied Ethics: I have recently published a book on legal ethics that brings together various research themes around roles, obligations and authority. That book ended with a chapter on personal integrity and authority and foreshadows future research.
- Philosophy of Law: I am interested in the way in which rules function as reasons for action; the plausibility of broadly positivist theories of law, and in the way in which jurisprudence plays out in ethical analysis of law. The issues in analytic jurisprudence connect closely with my interest in integrity and authority.
- Medical Ethics: I have been engaged in research into paternalism and autonomy, and have just completed an empirical research project into the influence of the cost of unfunded drugs on clinicians’ decisions about the information they give to patients. (See Dare T., Findlay M., Browett P., Amies K., Anderson S. 2010)
- Philosophical methodology: I am the co-author (with Dr Justine Kingsbury of the University of Waikato) of a recent paper on the Burden of Proof. Dr Kingsbury and I have also written a linked paper on the uses of scientific data in philosophical argument.
Dare, T. The Counsel of Rogues? A Defence of the Standard Conception of the Lawyer's Role Aldershot, Ashgate; 182pp. 2009.
Dare T., Wendel W.B., (eds.) Professional Ethics and Personal Integrity. Newcastle upon Tyne, Cambridge Scholars Press, 294pp. 2010.
Refereed journal articles
Dare T., Findlay M., Browett P., Amies K., Anderson S. (2010) "Paternalism in practice: Informing Patients about Expensive Unfunded Drugs", Journal of Medical Ethics J Med Ethics 2010 36: 260-264.
Dare, T. (2010) "Deceiving third parties" Journal of Primary Health Care, 2.1, 84-85.
Dare, T. (2009) "Parental Rights and Medical Decisions" Paediatric Anaesthesia 19: 947-952.
Dare T., Miles, F. (2009) "Scoliosis Repair in a Teenager with Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy; Who Calls the Shots?" Paediatric Anaesthesia, Volume 19, Number 10, October, 1022-1024.
Dare T. (2009) "Tom Campbell’s Ethical Positivism" Australian Journal of Legal Philosophy, 34, 294-300.
Dare T., Kingsbury J. (2008) "Putting the Burden of Proof in its Place: when are Differential Allocations Legitimate", The Southern Journal of Philosophy, 46, 503-518.
Sections in books
Dare. T. "Distance detachment and integrity", in Dare T., Wendel W. B., (eds.) Professional Ethics and Personal Integrity. Newcastle upon Tyne, Cambridge Scholars Press, 100-124, 2010.
Dare T. (2010) "Immunisation Programmes: Some Philosophical Issues" in Michael Freeman (ed.) The Ethics of Public Health, Volume II. Aldershot, Ashgate, 303-329, reprint of Dare T. "Mass Immunisation Programmes: Some Philosophical Issues" Bioethics, 12, 125-149, 1998.
Dare T. (2010) "Lawyers, Ethics, and To Kill A Mockingbird" in Donald Noble (ed.) Critical Insights: To Kill a Mockingbird. Pasadena, Salem Press, 94-111, reprint of Dare T. "Lawyers, Ethics, and To Kill A Mockingbird" Philosophy and Literature 25 (1), 127-141, 2001.
1990-1992 Lecturer in Philosophy and Law, Victoria University of Wellington
1987 Solicitor, Shieff, Angland, Dew, Auckland
1984-1987, Judges Clerk, High of New Zealand
Editorial Board Legal Ethics
Book Review Editor Australian Journal of Legal Philosophy
Chair Health Research Council Ethics Committee: 2007 –
Member Clinical Ethics Committees of Waitemata and Auckland District Health Boards
Member The University of Auckland Human Subjects Ethics Committee
Member NZ Medical Council Major Transmissible Virus Committee
Member of the HRC Data Safety Monitoring Committee
Chair, Northern Y, Health and Disability Ethics Committee: 1999-2006