Specialised French Translation 2
This course focuses on developing the skills required for translating into your declared language direction (80% of the coursework into your selected first language and 20% into your selected second language) through extensive exposure to authentic translation materials in both languages. Fields covered will be chosen from: literature/culture, industry, finance, commercial correspondence and technical.
Course Focus for 2019
In 2019, this specialised translation seminar will focus on the role of metaphor (in the broadest sense of the term) in language and its importance for translation, notably when associated with word play. Students will perfect skills and strategies for recognising and translating all types of metaphor and word play for a variety of text types and target audiences.
Lessons are interactive, with opportunities for practice in pairs, small groups or the whole class. Attendance at all lectures is strongly recommended in order to benefit from interactive activities which help develop translation skills and ensure steady progress.
Aims of course
The overall intended learning objectives are to develop translator competence–which includes linguistic, intercultural, documentary, technological/instrumental, transfer, thematic, industry-related and ethical competencies–within general and specialised knowledge domains.
Specific skills include
- Mastering the different phases in the translation process
- Understanding the main textual and contextual features of Languages for Specific Purposes (LSP) texts
- Online documentary research skills: linguistic and subject knowledge acquisition
- Correct use of linguistic resources and translation technology solutions
- Source text analysis strategies, meaning interpretation and negotiation, writing skills and editing and proof-reading skills
- Ethics and intercultural competency
- Knowledge of the translation market and business-related skills
This is achieved through
- Full translations into your declared first language (approximately 80% of final mark)
- Full translations into your declared second language (approximately 20% of final mark)
- (Co-)Textual analysis and discussion
- Topic-based research
- Summary and selective translation
Not taught in 2022
FRENCH 708: 15.0 points